Posted on December 22 2016
We have just a few days left to get that perfect gift for that perfect someone. And today we're sharing an easy tutorial for making this thoughtful gift of chocolate chip cookies in a jar. Yes we know it might be something of a Pinterest cliché, but who doesn't love home made cookies. Plus anything in a mason jar makes it instantly cuter. It only takes about 10 minutes, so now you have a cute gift to hand out to anyone on your list.
Chocolate Chip Cookies in a Jar
You Will Need:
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups (9 ounces) semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- parchment paper or tissue paper (optional)
- twine, gift tag, and fresh flowers (optional)
1. You’ll want to be able to see the layers of ingredients in your jar, so start by adding them one at a time. I added the flour, baking soda, and salt first, then the chocolate chips, then the brown sugar, and lastly the white sugar. Make sure to pack down each layer so that it is compact, or else you might not have enough room for all of the ingredients in your jar. (Tip: use a muddler to pack ingredients to make sure it all fits.)
2. Then cut a small piece of parchment paper and lay it over the top of the jar before screwing on the lid.
3. Tie off with a piece of twine and fresh flowers for a pretty touch. And there you have it!
Note: It’s a good idea to write the recipe on your gift tag so that whomever is receiving it can make these cookies! Here are the wet ingredients they will need to add to make the cookies:
- 1/2 stick of butter
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 teaspoons vanilla extract
Makes about 2 dozen cookies.
1. Add your dry ingredients and the 1/2 stick of butter into a mixing bowl and mix together. Add your egg and 3/4 tsp. vanilla and use an electric mixer to beat on high for about a minute. Refrigerate for about 10 minutes.
2. Once you’re ready to start baking, preheat your oven to 375 degrees and create dough balls from your dough using a spoon or a small ice cream scooper. Bake for about 9 to 11 minutes or until golden brown.
Aren't these just sweet as nectar? We used chocolate chips for our recipe, but you can add any type of topping you want. Customize it to whatever your nectarine loves, M&Ms, Oreos, white chocolate, you name it the possibilities are endless.